NORFOLK, Virginia (WAVY) – Back in September 2020, Kaylee Thomas, 2, was found unconscious at the home of Jessica Cherry, 37 and Jenifer Street place of business in Norfolk.

According to evidence submitted at a bail hearing last year, detectives saw a video they claimed showed reflections of Cherry abusing other children at her daycare a week before Kaylee died.

Cherry had been charged with second degree murder in connection with Kaylee’s death. She also faces charges of child abuse and other crimes related to incidents involving other children.

Norfolk Police are also investigating the death of a little boy who arrived in Cherry’s care in January 2020, however, Cherry has not been charged in connection with this investigation.

Now 10 On Your Side has learned that police are investigating an additional incident that may have occurred at the unlicensed daycare that Cherry ran in her home.

An affidavit for a search warrant found at Virginia Beach Circuit Court traces a suspicious incident to June 6, 2018. The affidavit states that Norfolk firefighters responded to a house near Little Bay Avenue in Norfolk for a child suffering from ‘a head injury.

Documents say the victim, a then one-year-old girl, was taken to the King’s Daughters’ Hospital for her injuries.

According to the affidavit, in August 2020, the mother told detectives that her daughter was in the care of Jessica Cherry at a home daycare when the injuries occurred.

The paperwork says the mother told police Cherry gave several different explanations of how the injury happened, and they never made sense to her.

The affidavit states that she also told detectives that her daughter received treatment at Southeastern Therapy for Kids in connection with her injuries.

The affidavit confirms that Cherry is currently under investigation for two other children of the same age who died in her care at her daycare.

He also says the search warrant is for the little girl’s medical records to determine if any injuries are consistent with abuse or inconsistent with the explanation for the injuries.

After a hearing last month, Cherry was returned to Norfolk City Prison, where she is being held without bail. If she is indicted by a grand jury this month, the case will go to trial.

Source link